One of the biggest distinctions between my previous corporate job and my role in a startup has been the lack of support and gear immediately available to me in the later. To compensate, I must be carry a hefty laptop backpack with lots of goodies. I carry around a good deal of gear with me in my travel bag.
Here”s my gear list:
- Macbook Pro
- DVI & VGA Adapters (for presentations)
- Extra MagSafe Adapter & Extension Cord/Plug Multiplier
- 4 GB USB Drive
- iPhone with Tethering Capability (and extra charger) (It”s fantastic to have internet wherever you go!)
- Extra pens, sticky notes, business cards, promotional stickers.
- A digital voice recorder, which is really nice for taking notes on (with permission) lectures and meetings.
I”ve found that the extra gear that I just happen to have with me has saved my tail, or my partners” tails, several times. I guess the old Boy Scouts Motto, Be Prepared, really applies when traveling/pitching/presenting in the world of entrepreneurship. I like to think of that laptop bag as my digital swiss army knife or my digital utility belt, and my attitude towards traveling as ”Be a digital boy scout. Be prepared”.
What does your travel bag look like ? What gear have you found handy to have around in a pinch?