Browsed by
Category: community

Where is the fire around this fire?

Where is the fire around this fire?

A few years ago, I was at a small bluegrass music festival in the mountains of Colorado.  Nestled in a ridge next to a winding river, you could see a square mile of tents during the day, and you could see the milky way after the sun went down.  Late at night, after the music had ended, the festival attendees would circle around campfires near their tents for warmth. Our camp was visible on a stretch Read the article >>
Why Open Source a High Frequency Trader?

Why Open Source a High Frequency Trader?

I built a cryptocurrency trading framework in January, and open sourced it as 'pytrader' 2 weeks ago.  Among the wave of interest, there were a handful of cynics: npx writes, on HN: I can't imagine why anyone would actually want to release a profitable trader. Isn't this kind of a tautologically dumb thing to do? .. I just can't see any motivation to make it profitable and then issue a pull Read the article >>
Agile A La Carte Menu

Agile A La Carte Menu

For my last few jobs, I've found myself spending a lot of time with stakeholders answering the following questions: When will X be shipped? Who is responsible for Y? Is A a priority above B? What could we be doing better? ... and various other manager-ey type things. In each gig, building a shared understanding of the teams workflow, iteration cycles, and development milestones Read the article >>
Lucid Dreaming for Fun & Profit

Lucid Dreaming for Fun & Profit

I gave a talk at Ignite Boulder 28 last week.  This was my 2nd Ignite talk; my first one was about something very serious and personal, and I wanted to do something that was fun & light the 2nd time around.  It's on Lucid Dreaming, here it is: Transcript of the talk is below: - When I was a kid, I used to dream a lot about superpowers. As an adult, in the year 2002, living in Philadelphia. was Read the article >>
Ignite Boulder — End Suicide Stigma

Ignite Boulder — End Suicide Stigma

I gave a talk at Ignite Boulder 26 -- The subject of my talk was the stigma of suicide and of mental health  -- This was my first time speaking  in front of 1400 people, much less about suicide.  Here is a video of the talk: I've attached a transcript of my talk below:   In 2010, I met my family met me for lunch in Manhattan. 4 of them visited but actually only *3* of them were Read the article >>